Impact of Minnesota Wine
Developed by the MGGA Legislative Committee
• The Minnesota Wine Industry has contributed over $2.9 million in excise and sales tax to the State of Minnesota over the last 7 years.
• Each acre of Minnesota Grown Grapes is able to generate $3,350 of total taxes for the State of Minnesota.
• The Minnesota Wine Industry is growing at a rate of 28% annually.
• Annual Minnesota Wine production is estimated to grow to 150,000 gallons by 2014.
• Minnesota Farm Wineries are projected to produce more than $11,250,000 of wine a year by 2014.
RESEARCH & DEVELOPMENT:
• With a state-of-the-art enology lab and research winery the University of Minnesota is recognized as having one of the top wine grape programs in the United States.
• The University of Minnesota has developed four outstanding grape varieties that can create excellent wines including Frontenac, Frontenac Gris, La Crescent, and Marquette.
• One acre of Minnesota Grown grapes is able to produce about 2,800 bottles of wine.
• Minnesota Wineries produced over 93,000 gallons of wine in 2009.